19cGI & 12cRDBMS opatchauto: Re-link fails on target “procob”

Problem:

Environment: 19c GI | 12c RDBMS | RHEL 7.6

While applying Apr 2019 RU on top of the RDBMS home, opatchauto failed:

# /u01/app/oracle/product/12.2.0/dbhome_1/OPatch/opatchauto apply /u01/swtmp/29314339/ -oh /u01/app/oracle/product/12.2.0/dbhome_1 

==Following patches FAILED in apply:
Patch: /u01/swtmp/29314339
Log: /u01/app/oracle/product/12.2.0/dbhome_1/cfgtoollogs/opatchauto/core/opatch/opatch2019-06-24_18-51-22PM_1.log
Reason: Failed during Patching: oracle.opatch.opatchsdk.OPatchException: Re-link fails on target "procob".
Re-link fails on target "proc". 

We’ve tried using opatch instead of opatchauto and it succeeded:

$ /u01/app/oracle/product/12.2.0/dbhome_1/OPatch/opatch apply

Patch 29314339 successfully applied.
OPatch succeeded.

The problem is definitelly related to opatchauto . We’ve opened SR to Oracle and I will update this post as soon as I get the solution from them. Before that, I want to share three workarounds for this problem with you.

Workarounds:

1. The first workaround, as you have already guessed is to use opatch instead of opatchauto.

$ /u01/app/oracle/product/12.2.0/dbhome_1/OPatch/opatch apply

2. The second workaround is to edit actions.xml file under PSU (e.g /u01/swtmp/29314339/etc/config/actions.xml) and remove the following entries (see Doc ID 2056670.1):

<oracle.precomp.lang opt_req="O" version="12.2.0.1.0">
<make change_dir="%ORACLE_HOME%/precomp/lib" make_file="ins_precomp.mk" make_target="procob"/>
</oracle.precomp.lang>
  
<oracle.precomp.common opt_req="O" version="12.2.0.1.0">
<make change_dir="%ORACLE_HOME%/precomp/lib" make_file="ins_precomp.mk" make_target="proc"/>
</oracle.precomp.common> 

Retry opatchauto.

3. The third workaround is to backup libons.so file in GI home and then copy from RDBMS home (You should return it back, after opatchauto succeeds).

# mv  /u01/app/19.3.0/grid/lib/libons.so  /u01/app/19.3.0/grid/lib/libons.so_backup 
# cp  /u01/app/oracle/product/12.2.0/dbhome_1/lib/libons.so  /u01/app/19.3.0/grid/lib/libons.so  

The reason I’ve used this workaround is that, I’ve found opatchauto was using libons.so file from GI home instead of RDBMS:

[WARNING]OUI-67200:Make failed to invoke "
/usr/bin/make -f ins_precomp.mk proc ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/12.2.0/dbhome_1"….
'/u01/app/19.3.0/grid/lib/libons.so: undefined reference to `memcpy@GLIBC_2.14'                         

If we compare libons.so files between GI and RDBMS homes, we will find that they are not the same. The problem is that opatchauto uses that file from wrong location. As long as it is not easy to find a way to force opatchauto to use libons.so file from the correct location (working on this with Oracle Support), this workaournd can also be considered.

Please keep in mind, you must return GI libons.so back after opatchauto succeeds. We don’t know what happens if we have 12c libons.so file under 19c GI.

About Mariami Kupatadze
Oracle Certified Master Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mariami-kupatadze-01074722/

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: