Patch Planner to check and request conflict patches

Problem:

Recently, I was applying p29963428_194000ACFSRU_Linux-x86-64.zip on top of 19.4 GI home and got the following error:

==Following patches FAILED in analysis for apply:
 Patch: /u01/swtmp/29963428/29963428
 Log: /u01/app/19.3.0/grid/cfgtoollogs/opatchauto/core/opatch/opatch2019-08-07_10-07-56AM_1.log
 Reason: Failed during Analysis: CheckConflictAgainstOracleHome Failed, [ Prerequisite Status: FAILED, Prerequisite output: 
 Summary of Conflict Analysis:
 There are no patches that can be applied now.
 Following patches have conflicts. Please contact Oracle Support and get the merged patch of the patches : 
 29851014, 29963428
 Conflicts/Supersets for each patch are:
 Patch : 29963428
 Bug Conflict with 29851014 Conflicting bugs are: 29039918, 27494830, 29338628, 29031452, 29264772, 29760083, 28855761 ... 
 After fixing the cause of failure Run opatchauto resume

Solution:

Oracle MOS note ID 1317012.1 describes steps how to check such conflicts and request conflict/merged patches in previous:

1. Run lsinventory from the target home:

[grid@rac1 ~]$ /u01/app/19.3.0/grid/OPatch/opatch lsinventory > GI_lsinventory.txt

2. Logon to support.oracle.com -> Click the “Patch and Updates” tab -> Enter the patch number you want to apply:

2. Click Analyze with OPatch…

3. Attach GI_lsinventory.txt file created in the first step and click “Analyze for Conflict”:

4. Wait for a while and you will see the result. According to it, patch 29963428 conflicts with my current patches:

From the same screen I can “Request Patch”.

5. After clicking “Request Patch” button I got the following error:

Click “See Details”:

The message actually means that fix for the same bug is already included in currently installed 19.4.0.0.190716ACFSRU.

So I don’t have to apply 29963428 patch. I wanted to share the steps with you , because the mentioned tool is really useful.

Can’t call method “uid” on an undefined value at …DBUtilServices.pm line 28.

Problem:

opatchauto on GI fails with the following error:

# /u01/app/18.0.0/grid/OPatch/opatchauto apply /0/grid/29301682  -oh /u01/app/18.0.0/grid
 Can't call method "uid" on an undefined value at /u01/app/18.0.0/grid/OPatch/auto/database/bin/module/DBUtilServices.pm line 28.

Reason:

  1. GI is not setup yet. You may have unzipped GI installation file, but have not run gridSetup.sh
  2. $GI_HOME/oraInst.loc is missing.

Solution:

  1. Setup GI by running gridSetup.sh
  2. Copy the oraInst.loc from the other node, if you don’t have another node then please see the file content bellow:
# cat /u01/app/18.0.0/grid/oraInst.loc
inst_group=oinstall
inventory_loc=/u01/app/oraInventory

19cGI & 12cRDBMS opatchauto: Re-link fails on target “procob”

Problem:

Environment: 19c GI | 12c RDBMS | RHEL 7.6

While applying Apr 2019 RU on top of the RDBMS home, opatchauto failed:

# /u01/app/oracle/product/12.2.0/dbhome_1/OPatch/opatchauto apply /u01/swtmp/29314339/ -oh /u01/app/oracle/product/12.2.0/dbhome_1 

==Following patches FAILED in apply:
Patch: /u01/swtmp/29314339
Log: /u01/app/oracle/product/12.2.0/dbhome_1/cfgtoollogs/opatchauto/core/opatch/opatch2019-06-24_18-51-22PM_1.log
Reason: Failed during Patching: oracle.opatch.opatchsdk.OPatchException: Re-link fails on target "procob".
Re-link fails on target "proc". 

We’ve tried using opatch instead of opatchauto and it succeeded:

$ /u01/app/oracle/product/12.2.0/dbhome_1/OPatch/opatch apply

Patch 29314339 successfully applied.
OPatch succeeded.

The problem is definitelly related to opatchauto . We’ve opened SR to Oracle and I will update this post as soon as I get the solution from them. Before that, I want to share three workarounds for this problem with you.

Workarounds:

1. The first workaround, as you have already guessed is to use opatch instead of opatchauto.

$ /u01/app/oracle/product/12.2.0/dbhome_1/OPatch/opatch apply

2. The second workaround is to edit actions.xml file under PSU (e.g /u01/swtmp/29314339/etc/config/actions.xml) and remove the following entries (see Doc ID 2056670.1):

<oracle.precomp.lang opt_req="O" version="12.2.0.1.0">
<make change_dir="%ORACLE_HOME%/precomp/lib" make_file="ins_precomp.mk" make_target="procob"/>
</oracle.precomp.lang>
  
<oracle.precomp.common opt_req="O" version="12.2.0.1.0">
<make change_dir="%ORACLE_HOME%/precomp/lib" make_file="ins_precomp.mk" make_target="proc"/>
</oracle.precomp.common> 

Retry opatchauto.

3. The third workaround is to backup libons.so file in GI home and then copy from RDBMS home (You should return it back, after opatchauto succeeds).

# mv  /u01/app/19.3.0/grid/lib/libons.so  /u01/app/19.3.0/grid/lib/libons.so_backup 
# cp  /u01/app/oracle/product/12.2.0/dbhome_1/lib/libons.so  /u01/app/19.3.0/grid/lib/libons.so  

The reason I’ve used this workaround is that, I’ve found opatchauto was using libons.so file from GI home instead of RDBMS:

[WARNING]OUI-67200:Make failed to invoke "
/usr/bin/make -f ins_precomp.mk proc ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/12.2.0/dbhome_1"….
'/u01/app/19.3.0/grid/lib/libons.so: undefined reference to `memcpy@GLIBC_2.14'                         

If we compare libons.so files between GI and RDBMS homes, we will find that they are not the same. The problem is that opatchauto uses that file from wrong location. As long as it is not easy to find a way to force opatchauto to use libons.so file from the correct location (working on this with Oracle Support), this workaournd can also be considered.

Please keep in mind, you must return GI libons.so back after opatchauto succeeds. We don’t know what happens if we have 12c libons.so file under 19c GI.